Managed Migration in Club Cricket - Non EEA Players Registration/Visas

Managed Migration in Club Cricket - Non EEA Players Registration/Visas

The Home Office have spoken to ECB regarding non-European Economic Area (EEA) players entering the UK using the Standard Visitor visa and reminded Clubs of the need to be aware that the Standard Visitor visa only allows a player to join an amateur team or club to gain experience in a particular sport if they are an ‘Amateur’.

Click here
to view a copy of the letter dated 05 September sent to leagues/clubs.

Click here for the question and answers page.

It is essential for ECB, and Cricket to comply and continue to have an effective relationship with the Home Office, clubs receiving non-EEA migrants must abide by these rules.

The Home Office definitions below were included in the letter dated 05 September 2016.

A “Professional Sportsperson”, is someone, whether paid or unpaid, who:-

1) is providing services as a sportsperson, playing or coaching in any capacity, at a professional or semi-professional level of sport;
2) being a person who currently derives, who has in the past derived or seeks in the future to derive, a living from playing or coaching, is providing services as a sportsperson or coach at any level of sport, unless they are doing so as an “Amateur”.

An “Amateur” is a person who engages in a sport or creative activity solely for personal enjoyment and who is not seeking to derive a living from the activity. This also includes a person playing or coaching in a charity game.

Note:- The ECB is not registered to give advice on immigration. Information on aspects of immigration policy and law can be found on the Home Office website.

If you have any questions on the above, click here to email

Yours sincerely,
Paul Bedford

National Participation Manager (Leagues and Competitions)

< Return to previous page