ECB National Competitions Update – 24/06/2020
24th June 2020
With a condensed summer resulting in fixture challenges, ECB have taken the decision to cancel the below competitions to ensure that all players have an opportunity to play.
In addition, to ensure maximum flexibility for all clubs pursuing a return to action and because we believe it is safer for clubs and players to reduce their amount of travel we will be prioritising local playing opportunities over National and Regional competitions.*
While it is regrettable to have to cancel these competitions, the decision has been taken with public health as a priority and additionally to ensure that clubs are as free as possible to play as much cricket as they can in their local area once the game is able to progress to step 4.
Many of these tournaments would require rescheduling, which logistically could make it difficult for clubs to arrange other cricket and the health and safety of everyone involved in the game has been our priority throughout this period.
As such, the following competitions have been cancelled for the 2020 season:
- National Counties Championship (Three-day cricket)
- National County Showcase Fixtures v First-Class Counties
- Royal London Club Championship
- Vitality Men’s Club T20 Cup & Plate
- Vitality Women’s Club T20 Cup & Plate
- U18 Boys County Championship
- U17 Super Fours
- Royal London Boys County Age Group Under 14, 15 & 18 Cup Competitions
- Royal London Girls County Age Group Under 15 & 17 Cup Competitions
- ECB David English Bunbury Festival
- ECB City Cup
- ECB Over 50s County Championship
- ECB Girls Regional Development Centre Festival
- ECB Girls U15 Festivals
Decisions on Royal London Women’s County T20, U13 & 15 Boys and Girls’ club, Lady Taverners Club T20 and Lady Taverners Softball competitions will be made at a later date and ECB will share more information as soon as we are able to.
Local friendly matches will be encouraged later in the summer, should restrictions ease.
*This does not mean that ECB Regional Premier Leagues will be cancelled