Mike Fairey & Duncan Lanchester OSCAs Winner
5th October 2020
Mike Fairey & Duncan Lanchester from the recently formed Downham Stow Cricket Club have been awarded an ECB NatWest OSCA for their work behind the scenes during the Coronavirus Pandemic to help form the new club.
Mike and Duncan were selected as the Norfolk winners in the Proactive Leadership within the Cricket Community category.
- Both have been instrumental in the merger of two senior West Norfolk Clubs. The area has traditionally struggled to sustain both being only two miles apart. This will ensure economies of scale, benefit player pathway with the resultant stronger Club to progress further by combining the combined willing group of volunteers.
- Discussions were first held between both over two years ago and having agreed that the merger should proceed the COVID-19 issues accelerated the process which was largely conducted via zoom meetings.
- Their skills have been well matched – Duncan driving Downham for many years, both as player and Chairman and Mike more in an administrative capacity where in recent years Stow have progressed as far as they could both in terms of facilities and playing strength. The driving ambition is to now reach Premier League status.
- The merger went ahead and during the return to cricket phase all parties have got used to the new Club playing both adult and youth matches.
- What Duncan and Michael have achieved is quite immense as both Clubs have been fierce rivals for many years. The biggest success is the new friendships made over a wide age group and so far, surpassed all expectations with the future now looking very bright for the game in West Norfolk which in turn will strengthen Cricket in the County.